Pulling a text together at a draft stage
If you wish me to copy-edit your text, I will be:
- making sure the text hangs together and is internally consistent
- making sure the level of language is appropriate for its target audience
- making sure the text is the right length for the job
- making sure page numbers, headings, sub-headings, footnotes, references, and the running headers and footers on each page are all present and correct
- making sure the contents page matches the section headings, and that headings and sub-headings help readers' understanding
- suggesting minor re-wording, to make the language easier to read or to avoid ambiguity
- suggesting structural improvements, if needed
- suggesting possible improvements for communicating facts, for example, where a block of text could perhaps be replaced by an illustration or figure, or a hyperlink to another web page
- flagging up anything that seems unclear
- flagging up where there appear to be bits missing from the text
- flagging up any obvious factual mistakes or dubious statements
- flagging up any obvious copyright, moral or libel issues
- and carrying out all the checks included in the proofreading list
Projects using this service
Report for Mantell Gwynedd
I copy-edited the English version of a social impact report about a social prescribing project in Gwynedd
The purpose of the report was to communicate the impact of the Arfon Community Link project. This is a social prescribing scheme, which links patients with sources of support in the community. As the report was to be sent to the Welsh Government, the client’s aim was ‘to make sure it’s correct’.
Mantell Gwynedd is the County Voluntary Council in Gwynedd, Wales.
What my clients say
Curriculum resources for Sustrans
I copy-edited written curriculum resources for both pupils and teachers
Part of the task was to impose internal consistency on the written English, as different members of staff had written different parts.
I then arranged for Welsh translation, and proofread the Welsh against the original English.
Sustrans is the UK's national sustainable transport charity.